Skip to main content

Not Just For A Girl....!

Absorbed by a thought I was totally oblivious to one and half hour tiring journey in the scorching heat of sun. A thought that was planted by the most effective or to be precise the most intrepid speaker I have ever witnessed. It was not a meeting specially designed for ladies nor was an event on some Women’s day. But Kavya, a scientific writer by profession had delivered in a regular get together a speech on the myths and unhealthy practices of Indian women during the menstrual cycle, addressing a huge crowd in which majority were men.

Having men onto my both sides, I felt a pinch of embarrassment on hearing the topic but Kavya’s gentle reminder that the race of humans wouldn’t have existed without this biological process and it was not a taboo subject, immediately comforted me. She presented a statistical report throwing light on the fact that 80% of the Indian women do not use sanitary pads but rather use SAND, ASH, GRASS, NEWSPAPER and RAGS during their menstrual cycle. No sooner these words struck my ear; I had Goosebumps on my hands. Trying to imagine it, had left me with a bizarre sensation in my throat. As a girl I can emphasize the plight of those hapless women. I controlled my thoughts and tried concentrating on Kavya’s speech.

She lucidly explained the chronic problem unaddressed for centuries. Unlike other health issues, Women were brought up in such a way that they shouldn't publicly discuss about the menstrual problems. True..! I thought to myself, standing behind my mom I rarely discussed this with my father and I almost never discussed with my brother.

Insight into her thought provoking ideas in her whole speech, stirred up the sense of introspection after which I was completely in accord with her argument that there are many myths around this 
  • ·         Why to consider ourselves very shameful by a few red strains, when we know that happens with every women.
  • ·         Why to shroud the sanitary pads with a black cover as if we are carrying a secret gun to shoot someone.
  • ·         Why don’t we prefer asking our dad or brother to bring sanitary pads.
  • ·         In some cultural practices why are the women treated as untouchables even in their own family during menstrual time.
  • ·         Why is a women treated as impure on those days and asked to stay away from religious rituals.

After reading this, don’t we think of questioning our systems(especially in rural areas) which don’t promote dignity of women.

It’s high time for us to help those women who are still following the unhealthy practices and to do that there are many volunteer organizations. The best among them as I consider it to be NJPC(Not Just a Piece of Cloth) an initiative started by “Goonj”. MY Pad, Goonj's clean cloth pad is developed out of old cloth collected from urban masses. It is made with highly indigenous processes while also educating the user women to make it on their own. It’s our responsibility to promote this and help the most vulnerable women over there. Do visit this page and contribute whatsoever we can to bring the change we would like to see.



Thank you Kavya, your speech had given me the boost to give vent to my thoughts publicly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Country & Our World

T he result of waking up very early in a winter morning and standing in a serpentine queue for all most two hours in the biting cold winds was an entry pass to be a part of  Mr. Barack Obama's visit to our college.After signing on the ticket and receiving it, I was overwhelmed with excitement that I am going to see the remarkable President of USA. Immediately I captured the ticket and uploaded it in my Facebook.By seeing my excitement, one of my friends asked me- 'I think you will not be this happy if you get a chance to meet our(Indian) Prime minister..!!' For a moment I was taken aback.I really didn't understand what was her interpretation of my excitement. "I would also be excited to see my country's leader and why on earth did you get this doubt?" I questioned her. She smiled and said your enthusiasm to see USA's president..! "If we are not the local Americans, shouldn't we get excited to see a legendary personality who had rewritten th

Things This Little Book Told Me..!!

O ne day I was curiously looking at all the book titles,row by row at our office library. A large collection of technical tomes always left me diffident.So I went ahead and searched for a book at the general section.With a sky blue jacket, having an image rolled on both sides, with an artistic font of title and a cute cartoon of a bird hanging at the center, a book grabbed my attention. It was written- " Things A Little Bird Told me- confessions of the creative mind."  My connection to the word creative (As I always brag I am !! ) made me to have a glimpse of what the book was all about. Author -  Biz Stone,   Co-founder of Twitter. I never heard about him, appreciated my general knowledge levels and then continued reading the cover page. At the bottom, it was written "A unique gift of perspective to anyone dreaming of taking risks, changing their lives, and changing the world ". Interesting and relative, I thought and borrowed it from our library. Embarked on